Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Legal action against Ex-wife using SS#

Ok, Mr. Rose was kind enough to let me know that according to Florida Statute it is illegal for my ex-wife to give out my SS# for any reason. My question is what do I do next. I need to get these acct. removed from my credit report in order to get a mortgage. I realize I am resp. for 50% of these bills, but I do not want to pay them in full at this time without her paying her part. My credit it ruined because she provided my number. Can I dispute these debts as Identity Theft with the CR agencies? Is that what I should do. Will that remove them from my report and then give me the chance to pay my half and sue her for the remaining half? What would anyone suggest I do? This woman has ruined my life! By the way...we have already reported her to the police for ID theft on a power bill and a DirecTv bill and I am waiting to here what happens next. Is that what I do about these them to the police as well? Thanks in advance!!!! I am going to submit this question under ''Family Law'' and ''Credit, Debt, etc.'' because I do not know which one it falls under.

Asked on 6/05/08, 6:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: Legal action against Ex-wife using SS#

The police and the State Attorney's Office have the power to assist you with removing the negative marks from your credit. That's usually your best plan. You can try to dispute the bad marks thrugh a website like, but that doesn't usually work. Still, it's worth a try.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/08, 10:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida