Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I married my boss 6 weeks after we met.

Its been 9 mo. now and I've never got a pay check, and he dosent pay my bills. Ive spent so much time at work that I rarely see my 2 little girls. Finanacially im at rock bottom.

He's made and spent approx. 75K in the past 5 mo. and now hes saying he wants a divorce but he still wants to be w/ me even after the divorce is final. He says that I wont get anything because we havent been married for a year yet, and after a year he would have to pay allimony. I just need a legal openion, what should I do?

Asked on 8/19/07, 8:27 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: I married my boss 6 weeks after we met.

Because yours was a short marriage (under 8 years), you will not be entitled to permanent alimonyl. However, depending on the details of your situation, you may be able to get lump sum or temporary alimony. I suggest you consult with an attorney to go over your particular circumstances. You are definitely entitled to your wages.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/07, 8:53 am

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: I married my boss 6 weeks after we met.

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

Alimony is generally only awarded after a long term marriage which is considered to be 12 - 15 years. It would be highly unusual for alimony to be awarded for a marriage of only 1 year.

You should consult an attorney to discuss your legal rights and obligations. You may have some rights to back pay if you were working for your husband and did not receive any compensation.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/07, 10:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida