Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Hello, I'm going on a trip next month and I've applied for a passport, before applying for a passport I checked online to see how much I owe in back child support and the amount is $1430.00. Since I'm not close to the 2500 thershold I thought I was fine. Last Friday I got a letter in the mail stating that my passport application was denied, I called the child support office and they said that either they can remove my name off the list for not owing the thershold amount or they can make me pay it in full, the representative said its a case by case situation. What are the chances of getting my name removed off the list? The said the will contact me in 24 to 72 hours.

Asked on 6/11/13, 9:30 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

I am not too confident in the system. My advise is to catch up in full with the child support.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 9:46 am

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Most of the time, they'll agree to a payment plan to pay off the back support, and thet'll probably agree to remove the suspension on your ability to get a passport. You'll probably have to agree to a payroll deduction for this to occur. But I very much doubt that all this can be accomplished in time for you to get a passport by next month. Your best bet is probably to pay off all the back support right away. That will give you at least a small chance that your application for a passport will clear in time.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 9:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida