Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

my wife left me with the kids she lives in indiana in in florida she says she suing for custody in indiana and where im at the kids and i have been living here for a year and a half would she get custody even though she left her family

Asked on 7/22/15, 1:38 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

You need to immediately retain FL counsel to file for divorce in Florida. If you file anything in Indiana, other than to solely dispute jurisdiction, you might accidentally concede jurisdiction to that State. Don't sit on this.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/15, 1:57 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

FL has jurisdiction because the kids live in FL.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/15, 7:48 pm
Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

Under Federal law Florida is the only state that has Jurisdiction (Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act). You need an attorney who can object to Indiana taking any action and have the Indiana case dismissed. You may sue her in Florida.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/15, 6:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida