Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

My friend needs me to joint sponsor his Colombian wife since he cannot prove he can provide for her financially on his 2011 taxes. He wants me to be the joint sponsor until he finishes 2012 with a full year's worth of pay to prove he can support her financially on his 2012 taxes. What should I do? I don't feel comfortable with this. What are the consequences for me? He says he can remove me from any obligations in January, 2012 when he can prove a full-year's worth of employment at his current job. Is this possible?

Asked on 10/18/12, 6:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Balaguera The Balaguera Law Firm, P.A.

An affidavit of support is a contract between you and the government where you promise to be responsible for her if she cannot support herself once she's here. The idea is that the government does not want to let people in who are going to be dependent on government assistance. They want to encourage people to come who will be able to provide for themselves or have family members who will. If you agree to be liable, then you might have to pay.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/12, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida