Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

The kids (under 21) who are U.S. Citizens can't petition for the mother in regards for citizenship? Not even with a sponsor since they are under 21? My brother is a US citizen lives and works in the US and my kids both were born in the US. The mother carries a Jordanian passport. And I do too. Is there not a way to get the kids to petition for us with or without a sponsor (my brother is American)? I am about to lose my job, hence my work visa and that doesn't leave us with many options in terms of residing in a country that would be good for my kids. Your help is truly appreciated.

Asked on 9/26/16, 10:38 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Paul V. Suppicich Maney, Gordon, Zeller, P.A.

No, petitioners for parents must be 21 years of age. Your U.S. citizen brother can petition for you, but you will have a long wait before a visa becomes available for you. Is Jordon not a good country to raise your kids? Go to and for information on U.S. immigration law and procedure.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/16, 11:13 am
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

A U.S. citizen child cannot petition a parent until they are 21 yrs old. No exceptions in the law.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/16, 5:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida