Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

Small Claims Case

I just received notice of the court date set for the small claims case I filed in Florida against a previous tenant who was renting my house. I live in Utah and was visiting in Florida when I filed the paperwork, assuming it would be at least a couple months before a date was set. At this time I am financially unable to make a return trip to Florida so soon and cannot personally appear in court. My question is, what would be the best thing for me to do at this time?

Asked on 5/14/09, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stuart M. Address Law Offices of Stuart M. Address, P.A.

Re: Small Claims Case

The notice you received is probably for a "pretrial" conference. This is where you get together with a mediator to try to settle the case. If it doesn't settle, you get another date to come back for trial. Under Florida law, you can hire an attorney to appear for you as long as you give him specific settlement authority. If you don't have an attorney appear for you and fail to show yourself, your case will be dismissed. You should contact an attorney in the area where the Court is located. If I am near the area, you may contact my office to discuss the matter further.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/09, 11:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida