Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

My 21 year old son lives with us, attends college full time and works part time. 2 yrs ago he got a second DUI and is not eligible for a restricted license. He is excluded from my auto insurance policy and I an having him get his own insurance. I have always claimed him as a dependent on my taxes and my question is this.

Should he get in an accident or some other vehicle related problem is my liability affected by whether or not I claim him as a dependent on my taxes or he files separately?

Asked on 1/31/10, 5:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sarah Grosse Sarah Grosse, Esquire

If he is NOT eligible for a restricted license (as you said), then he should NOT be eligible to have auto insurance, and he should NOT be driving. If you let him drive your car, you will be liable for damage/injury he may cause. The tax issue is unrelated to this question/issue/answer.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/10, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida