Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I am twenty four years old with a herniated disk, neck and hip pain. I was in an accident June "2008". The driver of a company truck, who totaled my car; was found to be at fault. I have recently received representation from a lawyer that I was referred to. But I believe that I am being pressured to accept an offer that I do not believe to be in my best interest. My question is what can I do to protect my self? Is it to late to seek representation from someone else?

Asked on 1/24/10, 9:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jacob Lieberman Lieberman Law Company

Its not too late until you sign a Release to the Defendant. Another attorney who takes your case will pay your former lawyer from his or her own attorney fees on most occasions thus you woulnt be charged anything more. Of course the new lawyer wouldnt be interested in the case unless he or she feels there can be a recovery of significantly more than what you have been offered.

Read more
Answered on 1/29/10, 9:25 pm

Angelo Marino Angelo Marino Jr. PA

The best thing to do is to sit down with your lawyer and have him/her explain to you why they feel it is in your best interest to settle for that amount of money. If you are unsatisfied with the anwser, pay for another lawyer to evaluate your case. Let the other lawyer know he/she will not get your case, so that he or she is not influenced into overevaluating the case because you may take it to them. You want an honest evaluation. An hour of time is all a competent lawyer needs to be within the ball park in most cases. Make sure you go to someone who is competent in personal injury cases and who has tried cases.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/10, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida