Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

My brothers dog (PITBULL) who has been stayinh with me, is being accused of killing the neighbors dog (mini yorkie). I have been to them on two occacsions now apologizing and asking them what I can do to take care of the situation. Today when I got home the neighbor had a tape measure in the road measuring the disatnce to my fence, when I wet to him he said he was working with an attorney etc. Again I apologized nd told him that I asked if I could do anything to compensate and again how horrible I feel. He said his daughter is now having to go to counceling and it may have to continue for quite sometime and it is all my resposibilty to take care of. He said he wanted my homeowners insurance info (unfortunately for me my homeowners doesnt cover any animals) so I told him that if he insists on going this route rather than working it out amongst ourselves then his attorny would have to contact me. I have tried to contact a couple attorneys with no responses and now obviously am worried about what I can be responsibile for and how much money they can try to get from me, as obviously that is what this is about.

Asked on 7/27/09, 7:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Gonzalez Sanchez-Medina, Gonzalez, Quesada, Lage, Crespo, Gomez & MachadoLLP

So what is your question? It appears that you may need to retain defense counsel to defend your interests in connection with the claim that your neighbor is about to file against you. If you are not certain that your brother's dog killed your neighbor's dog, then you may want to stop apologizing or taking any other action that may be construed as an admission of wrongdoing. Also, you should report the incident to your insurance carrier even if you believe that this type of claim is excluded under your policy, and if you are served with a complaint (lawsuit), you should immediately deliver a copy of the complaint to your insurance company and obtain a claim number. Without learning all of the facts, I cannot give you anymore meaningful guidance here.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/09, 7:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida