Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

My husband let a friend drive his vehicle and he caused an accident that put two elderly people in the hospital. I know as the sole owner of the vehicle my husband is liable, but can they come after assets that are in both of our names? Our liability policy is 100,000/300,000. I'm a nervous wreck not knowing what to do. Please help!!!

Asked on 4/26/13, 10:29 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm

Your insurance company has a duty to protect you and provide legal representation. In many cases they can settle the claim under the insurance company. You have pretty decent coverage. You should contact the insurance company with your concerns.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 10:56 am

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Your insurance should provide you a defense and you should make sure to insist that they resolve the matters within the policy limits. You can hire a personal attorney to review what the insurance company gets and does to make sure you are protected. Your husband's as the car owner is responsible and your joint assets are not subject to any individual judgments. That said, you need to be careful about moving assets around too, so you probably want to discuss that with an asset protection attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida