I’m renting a house. Initially signed 2 one year leases in 2020. The last lease ended March 2022.
Owner asked if I wanted to renew for another year. I said yes via email/text. Lease price increased, I asked if willing to negotiate lower but was told no. As of today, owner still has not sent a new lease for me to sign.
I now have opportunity to purchase house but this means not staying another year.
I can give owner 30 day notice however in the last lease that ended this year, theres an early termination clause saying if I terminated agreement early, they retain 2 months worth of down payment. Can they still retain this plus charge me for rest of year when they never sent newer agreement under newer amount for me to sign?
1 Answer from Attorneys
1. no answer can be given to this set of facts without seeing the prior lease AND the email exchanges involving the new unsigned lease.
2. do you have 2 months of down payment that they are holding?
3. best to reach out to the landlord and explain circumstances and find out what he wants to do.
4. have you committed to the purchase yet?
5. if you intend to just go into the entire deal with eyes wide open and assume the worst case scenario and figure out if that makes financial sense.
Related Questions & Answers
Cost of removing one of three persons from a condo deed. Asked 4/27/22, 6:33 pm in United States Florida Real Estate and Real Property