Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

My husband owes back taxes from 2001, 2002, and 2003. I know that if we have a joint bank account that they can take our money, but can they take my car that is only in my name or a bank account that is only in my name. We married in 2006.

Asked on 2/25/12, 6:37 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

No, if the tax liability is owed by your husband from past tax returns, you are not

liable. The IRS cannot levy on property owned by you in your name. If you are

concerned about the issue, you may file Form 8857 Innocent Spouse declaration

which explains why you are not liable for any of his past taxes. If you file joint

tax returns, any refund would be taken by the IRS to pay his liability, in which

situation you may file a Form 8357 Injured Spouse form to regain any share of

the refund belonging to you. Discuss the matter with your tax preparer.

Read more
Answered on 2/25/12, 7:34 pm

Steven Klitzner Steven N. Klitzner, P.A.

This is a question that I often get from new clients. The short answer is that they can not take your money or property. However, if there is a local revenue officer working on your case, he will try to determine if your husband is trying to hide his money in your account. If it is truly yours, you will not have a problem. Your husband should get help from a qualified tax attorney. Steve Klitzner

Read more
Answered on 2/26/12, 7:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida