Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I have a check for approximately $2500 from a life insurance company. It is made out to an estate that was never opened. Additionally, there was money owed to creditors by the deceased. Can anything be done to gain access to the life insurance money? The residency state of the deceased was Florida.

Asked on 4/13/12, 1:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

It would require either a Summary Administration Probate Proceeding that requires an attorney, or a Disposition Without Administration that doesn't require an attorney.

Either way, the creditor is entitled to be paid from the check.

If the debt is anything close to the $2500 or exceeds it, then it probably not worth doing anything about it. If you want to see if it is worth it at all, then you need to meet with an attorney, that hopefully has no consulation fee, to determine what is the best course of action.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/12, 1:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida