Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My Father died last year. He had lived in Florida all of his life but due to circumstances too complex to say here, he found it necessary to move to Georgia to live with my sister. Ten days after moving there he died of a sudden brain stem stroke. His only assets at the time of his death was a Florida bank account with a balance less than $1000. Do my sister and I as sole survivors have to probate is "estate" in Georgia or can it be done in Florida?

Asked on 10/28/09, 1:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

check with the bank and see who the beneficiary is. All you will need to do is give them a certified copy of the death certificate and if you are named as the beneficiary of his account, then proof of yourself. If the beneficiary named on the account is to an "Estate...." then you will need to open a small ancilliary estate here in order to open an account in the name of the estate with an EIN number. Too much info - contact me.

Read more
Answered on 11/02/09, 1:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida