Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My father passed away in 2002 and my mother in 2008. When my mother passed away we discover that there was some stock in my fathers name but he had no beneficiary named. We were advised at that time to leave it until it went into unclaimed funds. I recently contacted the company again and requested what information they needed to transfer the stock. I have the information I need, but am unsure how the stock should be divided. The will only tells what to do in the event that the wife precedes the husband, but unclear what to do if both are gone. How should the stock be divided?

Asked on 9/15/13, 9:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Without a will the stock likely goes from your father's Estate to your mother's Estate and then to the heirs equally. If they will do that automatically, without a will, then you should just split it equally amongst all siblings.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/13, 10:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida