Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

Hello and Thank you for responding in advance.

My father passed away a few years ago. He left his house to me and my brothers, with the right to his long-term girlfriend live there as long as she maintains the property and pays the taxes and insurance. We discovered by way of a few neighbors that she has packed up and moved to another state last July. Telling the neighbors that she had one more truckload to get and would be back in October. When my brother reached out to mention the condition of the yard she stated the yard man isn't doing his job... according to the neighbors no yard work has been done since before she left. My brother reached out again to request a walk thru in November and remind her that the taxes and insurance are due. She has also done a Permanente change of address. She will not responded to us or sign for any mail. Consequently, the house has gone vacant and the yard is overgrown and it looks abandoned. The neighbors are considering contacting the city due to the condition of the yard. They are afraid that squatters will move in... What legal steps do we need to take over the house and get eve4rything cleaned up?

Asked on 11/18/19, 6:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

Some of this depends on whether she has a deed or not or if there was some contractual arrangement.

Frankly, I would go and get the place cleaned up and taken care of and I would contact her to offer her some money to relinquish any rights that she may have to the property. Easiest route and less expensive than hiring lawyers.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/19, 6:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida