Legal Question in Workers Comp in Florida

I was at work and I got chicken in my eye I went to the nurse to report it and I wear contacts so i had to take out my contact and he flushed it out and asked me if it was better I said no my eye still burns and I cant see he said go back to work it will get better so I had to go back with my eye burning and not able to see out it cause it burn and I cant see with out glasses or contacts cause my eyes are bad I cant see nothing but blure with out them and he still made me go to work then the morning I woke up my eye was matted and swelled shut and made my other eye close too so I could not see at all so I went to the hospital and I had conjunctivitis and a corneal abrasion and they told me to give the paperwork to my work then see a eye doctor and not to work until the eye doctor gets it to heal when I went to work to turn in the papers to the nurse they told me I could be wrote up for not going to them to get permison before going to a doctor then they tried to make me go back to work right then even tho I could not see at all and had a doctors note not to work and I told them I could not and they still tried to get me to work so I told them I had to go home cause my eye was in pain and I had to see a doctor for my eye they said I could not go to a dctor till I can back in the morning to see the main nurse so I went back the next morning and they wrote me up and suspended me for three days for going to the doctor I want to know if its right for them to punish me for going to the doctor when their nurse did not treat my eye right and it it got worse because they told me it was fine and it was not is it right what they did

Asked on 4/12/13, 5:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jane-Robin Wender Wender Law, P.A.

You may have a claim for wrongful retaliation regarding a workers compensation claim but I'm not sure how the conjunctivitis could be related to work. You should contact an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/13, 6:59 pm

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You need legal help and an actual medical opinion about what your problems are and if they are related to the work incident. You dont mention when this happened or if you are still having the medical problems. If it is recent and the problems still exist and are emergent you may want to consider going to an emergency room rather than waiting any longer.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/13, 5:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Florida