Legal Question in Disability Law in Georgia

My current landlord denied my mother a reasonable accommodation (move to a downstairs apartment because she is disabled with bad knees and back) and I was told that there would be a $500 charge to move to an accessible unit. I'm looking to sue for pain/suffering and other damage. I've filed a complaint with and been assigned a worker at the Jacksonville HUD Office.

Do you think I have a case and is it worth seeking a attorney to represent me?

How much could my claim be worth? (Living here since Jan 2014)

I have no money to hire an attorney. Is there someone who would take on this case and get paid for their services after its settled?

I am going to eviction court this afternoon for non payment of rent as well and plan to bring up these issues.

Asked on 7/31/14, 7:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Your post indicates she was not denied a move. The complex just wanted to charge for it. It is common to be charged for moving units as the complex has to spend money on getting the old unit turned around. In addition, what changed between January and now and why did you not get the appropriate unit to begin with? Apparently you stopped paying rent anyway, which is rarely the right thing to do, so it may end today. Based on your post, even if your claim was valid, your damages would be the cost to move - $500. You can certainly see a lawyer who handles HUD issues - Legal Aid often handles those.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/14, 8:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Georgia