Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

A month ago, my mother and i bought a car for me. i am 18. The registration and insurance is in both names and both of our names were put on the title. since she took out a car loan to purchase the vehicle, we dont have the actual title. I DO have the reciept from the tag office stating that the title and tag are in both of our names. now she is mad at me and is threatening to report me to the police for stealing the car. A verbal agreement was made that i would give her the 150 dollars for the loan payment every month in cash. I have not broken this agreement. can i be charged?

Asked on 10/09/13, 3:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Print out this response and give it to your mother. If she reports a car stolen that has YOUR name as one of the owners, she has committed a serious crime of a false report to police, can be arrested, and she should go to jail for it. You could also likely sue her for civil damages over the false arrest. By the way, do NOT pay her in cash. Start sending that $150 direct to the lender and keep records.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/13, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia