Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I have 3 children w/ my ex husband. He and his live in girlfriend had a baby two weeks ago. The baby was put into foster care at the hospital because mother and baby tested positive for drugs. Since cps is involved, and two of my children are minors and go see him, should someone from cps notify me? Do I have a right to know what drugs are involved?

Asked on 6/18/13, 12:03 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

If it were my children, and their safety was involved, I would not wait on anyone else to do anything. I would immediately get a lawyer to do whatever is necessary to make sure my children are protected.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 12:28 pm

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

In addition to having an attorney file a motion to modify custody or visitation, you should contact DFCS to let them know that you are required to allow your husband visitation in that house. If they tell you that doing so could jeopardize your own custody rights, you may have a good basis to deny him visitation with her present or in that house. Seek an attorney's advice before you do this, however. As to knowing details about your case, you have no rights to obtain information about her case unless you seek police reports or other information through a valid subpoena in your own open case.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 7:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia