Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I have a 13 yr old that has repeatedly disrespected myself and othe family members. she is on probation for Obstruction of LEO, disorderly conduct, disrupting a public school system, criminal damage to property. She has recieved numerous juvenile complaints. She has a court date on Sept. 3, 2013 for charges of Criminal Trespass, Affray and Ungovernable. The probation officers tell the court will most likely do nothing. Her hurtful behavior in my home is effecting my other two daughters. Do they have rights? How can I protect them from this behavior if already probation is not working. My 8 yr old is already picking up her sisters bad behaviors and my 16 yr olds nerves stay torn up all the time. Not to mention my nerves, feelings and so forth. Where does the rights of the other individuals come into play? What should I do at court to make them her my plea for my other children?

Asked on 8/26/13, 6:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

In juvenile court, the only issue is what the court is going to do with her to punish her or to fix her problems. Unless you or your children are the victims, your needs don't really matter to them. However, as her mother, you can tell them how she is and see if they can get her some counseling or other methods of changing her behavior as a condition of her probation. Given the ungovernable charge, they may even be willing to put her in a home or detention if you cannot control her, although that might be an extreme reaction. Get to court early and see if they are willing to hear you our about your concerns. That may play a role in what they are looking to do to her for the new charges.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at [email protected], or through our website:

Read more
Answered on 8/28/13, 12:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia