Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I (defendant) was ordered to pay the plaintiffs legal fee's for divorce in Georgia. I would like a copy of the attorney's invoice before paying. Are they required to furnish me a copy of the invoice.

Asked on 2/01/12, 1:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You're asking at the wrong time.

The proper time to address this was before the order. When a party seeks attorneys fees from you, your attorney (you did use one, I assume, as it is always a mistake to be pro se in a contested case) can respond to the request. Typically that is done by letter briefs to the judge or brief oral argument. If your attorney saw an amount that looked questionable, that was the time to raise the issue.

There are no do-overs in law because you missed a step on your side of the case. At this point you get to do exactly what the order says when it says and there are no ifs to that.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/12, 6:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia