Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

guardianship of child in other state

i am living in california. my father lives in georgia he had a baby by a young woman and they do not feel they can take care of the child.the child was just born feb 2004. i have spoken with both my father and the mother of the child. they both agree they want me and my husband to have custody of the child. i have several questions rolled up into one big question. first what legal papers need to drawn up to get this verbal agreement leagal.second if we can get guardiaship what legal rights will we have.third if granted will i be responsilbe for adding the child to my insurance. and third eventually will we be able to legally adopt the baby.are there ant type of programs that aid couples who take on the guardianship such as daycare,food programs. the mother is currently receiving these things since she is on public aide,but my husand and i both work do we qualify for any assitance since this was an unplanned burden put on please the baby is what matters.

Asked on 3/29/04, 11:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: guardianship of child in other state

This area of the law involves the laws of two states and the United States. These laws cover the transfer of a child from one state to another for the purpose of adoption. If the mother or father of the child brought it to California for a visit these laws would not apply.

Read more
Answered on 3/31/04, 11:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia