Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My husband filed for divorce. I don't want to sign them for religious beliefs. I don't have the money to have this drawn out. He left mid may and was not here to sign the new lease that began in June. But we sent a letter a few days before he left that we both wanted to renew the lease. The electric is also in his name. Can I ask for half the bills and not sign agree to the divorce and have it granted. I also want him to pay for therapy sessions. We have no kids, own nothing together and have been married for 1.5 years but have been in each others life since we were 6

Asked on 7/29/13, 9:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

You are in a contested divorce. Plain and simple, you should NOT sign anything and you need a lawyer. The divorce will happen. As to what happens with the debts and assets, that depends on details we do not have. Be careful with how agressive you are, as you can outspend in legal fees what you hope to accomplish, and people rarely are awarded a lot in short marriages.

Your SMART legal strategy might be to sign an agreement, once your lawyer reviews it, to hold down costs.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/13, 10:34 am
Kimberly Coleman Perrell Law, LLC

I agree with Glen Ashman, but wanted to add a couple of things.

It is absolutely imperative that you deal with this immediately - even if you do not have enough money to pay a ton of legal fees, you should consider asking to buy one hour of time with a lawyer so that you can have a meeting and get detailed answers that are particular to the facts of your case. Alternatively, many counties in Georgia have family law self help centers in the courthouse or nearby. You should find out if your county has something like that and, if so, go to the office and talk to someone about your situation. Either way, you really should not delay in dealing with this - if you just let time go by and continuously refuse to sign the papers, there is a chance you will get hit with legal fees and/or fees for court costs associated with your refusal to sign. Along these same lines, it is not a good strategy to refuse to sign unless he gives you exactly what you want...even if he does agree, I am sure you understand that you need to get that agreement in writing, etc. I would talk to a lawyer no matter what before signing, but do not put this off for more than about a week.

Based on the limited facts you have provided (and assuming your husband has income that is equal to or higher than yours), you might be able to get a judge to award you some money to cover part of the lease payments for the term of the lease. The electric being in his name does not automatically obligate him to pay it. As far as therapy, there is no way to predict how that will go without additional facts as to why you think he should pay - the fact that he wants a divorce does not, standing alone, obligate him to pay for therapy.

You cant prevent the divorce from happening, and you're going to save yourself a lot of money and time if you buy at least an hour of a lawyer's time to go over this. You should do that sooner rather than later.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/13, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia