Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Living together

My daughter and I have been living with my boyfriend for almost 3 years. He invitied us to live with him in Sep. of 2001. There was no contract or agreement as to how long. He owns his house. He pays the morgage and I take care of all utilities and food. He takes care of the yard and I do the cooking, cleaning, and laundry.

Last week I was served a ''proceding against tenant holding over'' notice.

This is not a common law state (Georgia), but someone told me that the law recently changed.

Can he just throw me out just like that? He only offered me $1000 for moving expense. Nothing else. I feel like I have been takened advantage of.

I replied to the notice and checked the box (denied claim) but we go to court in a couple of days.

Do you offer any advice to me?

[email protected]

Asked on 5/10/04, 9:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip A. Strickland Law Offices

Re: Living together

Unfortunately, he owns the house where you reside and you and your daughter have the status of tenants and he is your landlord. Since there is no lease agreement for a set period of time, the law views your tenancy as at will and month to month. Eviction is the proper remedy for him if he wants you to move out. If your reference to common law refers to common law marriage, Georgia did away with the concept of common law marriage in 1997.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/04, 3:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia