Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

The mother of my child would not let me sign the birth certificate when he was born. He is now 2years old. When he was just a few months old she signed over temporary custody to his baby sitters and they have had him ever since. I have recently started to get back on track in life and I am wanting to get started in the process to get my son back. I know first I must be placed on the birth certificate and get legitimized but how do I go about doing that and how much will it cost me on average? (State of Georgia)

The mother is now saying she may agree to have me legitimized and placed on the birth certificate. Can I do both in the same day at the court house? Also, can she even let me get legitimized and be placed on the birth certificate with the baby sitters still having temporary custody?

Asked on 1/31/16, 9:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

You need a lawyer and a third party having custody complicates things. No one could answer you without seeing that order. The mother's cooperation will save a lot of money, but it still requires a court case that involves setting child support, a parenting plan and visitation and at best could be done in under two months. There is no way to guess fees. Best case scenario minus complications and with a full agreement you may stay under $1500 to $2000 with some lawyers. Worst case - a lot more in time and money.

Read more
Answered on 1/31/16, 9:32 pm

Glenn is correct

You need to hire a lawyer ASAP

We might be able to work out a payment plan

(Office) 770.985.6773 (answered 24x7)

Read more
Answered on 2/01/16, 3:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia