Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Unseal birth certificate from closed adoption for medical reasons

My wife was adopted at birth in a closed/private adoption. She has been diagnosed with a syndrome and it would be medically beneficial for her to obtain her birth history. She was born in Georgia and adopted in South Carolina within a week of her birth. How can she go about unsealing any adoption records so that she can find her birth parents to get her medical history? She also is under the understanding that her birth mother is native american (Cherokee) and additionally would like to be able to legally prove her heritage so that she can recieve her birth rights to her tribe. Is there any recourse in this as well?

Asked on 5/16/03, 11:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: Unseal birth certificate from closed adoption for medical reasons

Your wife's putative lineage with a sovereign nation may allow some proding. Otherwise it is difficult to open sealed records without a showing of cause. This sounds like two attorneys are needed due to her place of birth not likely being in Maryland.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/03, 8:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia