Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

my wife decided to get a divorce but i do not want to end my marriage . can she sue me for divorce if i did not sign the papers ? and how long does it takes for her to get adivorce on her own ? we have never been separated

Asked on 4/20/13, 4:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

Your wife can file for divorce and obtain a divorce whether or not you want one. Even if you do not sign any papers, she can file and have you served. If this happens you will need to file an answer and protect your interests. It is impossible to say how long the process will take. It depends on the assigned Judge and his/her calendar. I suggest you take the papers your wife has provided and have them reviewed by a family law attorney who can give you advice on how to proceed and how best to protect your interests. If your wife wants the divorce and is not interested in marriage counseling, which you may want to suggest, she will eventually be able to get the divorce. Again, seek legal counsel to protect your interests in the event your Wife files.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/13, 7:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia