Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My wife filed for divorce. She hasn't worked for the last five years, and just started a two year trade school this year. I took our a loan to pay for her school's first year, but now she says I should have to pay for the second year as well if we are divorced.

I want to do what is fair, but I think that since she filed and wants out she should pay for her second year of school, I'll just agree that I should pay the loan rather then splitting the debt in the divorce.

I expect to pay alimony, my thought is she should pay for school with that if she wants me to pay for it!

Asked on 7/19/13, 7:38 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Your post doesn't co contain any of the detailed information needed to assess a case, but the one certain thing is that each day you delay getting an attorney will worsen the outcome. Retain one today. It matters - a lot.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 9:12 pm
Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

What you can be ordered to do by a Judge depends on many factors, and you need an attorney familiar with the Judge handling the case to get a clear answer about what you could be made to do. While you expect to pay alimony, this also depends on the facts of the case, and what you do end up paying needs to be couched in certain terms which would be beneficial to you. Find an attorney and make sure you know what you have to pay and what you don't.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia