Legal Question in Immigration Law in Georgia

I am a Greencard holder of 10 years in the US. I'm Canadian. I'm applying for my US Citizenship. I have a fiance that lives in Turkey and I am visiting next month.

My question is: Is it best to wait to marry with the proper citizenship completed and apply via fiance visa. Or is it better to marry while I am in Turkey and then apply to have him join me in the US as my spouse after the citizenship documents are finalized?

Asked on 8/11/10, 9:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Either way is okay. If you don't know your fiance that well, and it's mostly online/phone relationship, then it would be wise to wait to become a US citizen and file a Fiance visa petition.

If you are confident in your relationship and there are no any additional issues to consider, then you can marry right away abroad and file the I-130 when you are a US citizen

If you would like to request a confidential legal advice or schedule telephone or email consultation regarding your specific situation, please email me directly at Attorney @ and I will send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment). I am an immigration attorney and work with clients from all States and globally. More information at

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 8/16/10, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Georgia