Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

I had a family member use a car issued in my name without my knowledge. They got into an accident which they were in fault. And now the other party's attorney has my drivers liscense suspended for non payment. I no longer live in the state in which this has accured. If I hire a attorney is there anything that I can do about this?

Asked on 2/20/13, 2:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Pay. Was the car insured? The insurance company has a duty to defend and indemnify you if the vehicle was insured at the time of the accident.

The problem here is that you are claiming that the use was unauthorized. So you can pursue the family member for reimbursement but I don't know if your insurance policy will cover the damage - you need to read the policy and see what it says regarding unauthorized use. Assuming that it covers the damage, your insurer pays up to the amount of damage or the policy limits. If the damage is not covered or exceeds the policy limits, you pay the extra over and above the policy or for the whole thing if there is no coverage. Then either you or you and/or the insurer go after the family member.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/13, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia