Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

my mother was visiting from Canada this past Christmas. She signed a typed document addressed to a nephew who has been overseeing land for her. She has transferred the responsibility of overseeing the land to me, her daughter. The one-page letter has her signature, mine, and a witness'. She is back in Canada and will be sending the document to her nephew. It occurred to me that we could have gone to a notary public for this. Don't know if that was need. Is the document binding?

Asked on 2/01/12, 9:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

No one here has the documents, and your post does not indicate what you are even trying to accomplish. What land? What does "oversee" mean in this context? What does any document mentioned actually say? There is no way to answer such a vague post. You need to briefly provide all of the actual facts, and tell us what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/12, 9:32 am


Your question points out the pitfalls of attempting to draft legally sufficient, binding documents without involving an attorney. Special rules apply to specific transactions and real estate is one of them. You should employ a real estate attorney to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/12, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia