Legal Question in Traffic Law in Georgia

I was driving to an appt and a car merged in front of me. The car slammed on its brakes so I stopped the car drive another 30-40 ft the slammed in its brakes again and sat there for 7-10 sec. I decided to pass the car over a double yellow line and the driver sped up and swerved left into me. I was so freaked out and scared for my life that I drove away. About 1 1/2 hrs later I went to the police and filed a report. At that time the other driver had already called the police and filed a hit and run report. I had no damage to my vehicle.

I've met with the police and they told me that the other driver was able to buff out theses before his wife got home and that he does not wish to proceed with hit and run charges or call the insurance company as he gas had some issues in the past and he was able to get the marks out and hus wife knows nothing.

I have a letter stating the case is closed and not being pursued any further.

Can this case be reopened after its closed?

Also, I believe the officer had a typo as he stated the incident took place on the 8th and not the 9th when it occurred. I've been advised that the date doesn't matter since we have a letter stating the case is closed.

Is this correct?

Asked on 7/13/13, 6:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Martin Hilliard Martin G. Hilliard, PC

The other person can always sue you in Magistrate court, however it doesn't sound like this will happen based on what you've explained, however if he does and you have to show proof with said 'closed' letter and the police officer won't change the date for you, you have the right to subpoena him (officer) to court to testify on your behalf.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 10:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Georgia