Legal Question in Traffic Law in Georgia

Hello, I have a question. I am accused of following another car with unsafe distance. I plead no guilty and awaiting a day in court and then a jerry trial.State recommends 500$ of fine and defense driving school. Police states that they can not see my head lights. It happened at night. The question is; If i ask to speak to the persecutor and sort of blame night time to the situation and ask to plead to one of the remarks of Police "can not see head lights" to plead no content to damaged or none working head lights, which presumes base charge of 80$ + fee, the total of 120.

Asked on 5/31/13, 8:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

When you go to court you need a lawyer. Going to court unrepresented, obviously having no clue of how to defend a case, and asking for a jury trial (it's not a "jerry trial") is frankly well beyond foolish. Do you know how to voir doir the jury? Do you realize that while unlikely, if you screw up badly enough, a judge can give you jail time and a fine of up to $1000 plus surcharges. Your conviction will also raise your insurance rates for several years.

If you want to have a chance at negotiating a plea, get a lawyer. If you want disaster, keep doing what you're doing.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/13, 8:34 pm

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

If you had a clean record, a good lawyer probably could have gotten the charge reduced significantly - maybe even ton a non-moving violation - without you ever seeing the courtroom.

Read more
Answered on 6/01/13, 2:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Georgia