Legal Question in Immigration Law in Hawaii

What is the maximum penalty for operating a lodging facility without proper permits in Hawaii? I am not American and applying for an investor's E2 visa.

My uncle is asking me to go to the US to run a hotel for him, he has written a business plan, given me an account with enough money in it and made the investment on my behalf. On paper we are in partnership and we share the company.

I have left everything to him till this point and as I am studying for my interview, found out the business plan is for a farm and not for the hotel!! Nothing has started yet and I want out. What is the maximum penalty if I did go through? Would my business partners be in trouble too? Travel agencies who have trusted me and took bookings?

It would mean I'd be getting my investor's visa based on a different company to the one that I will be working at. Will I go to jail for this? I need to convince my parents I want quit before I get into trouble. I have started cancelling all the bookings I've taken. Please help.

Asked on 11/15/12, 9:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White

You need to hire both a business attorney and an immigration attorney. It sounds as though you have set up and been paid for reservations at a hotel that perhaps does not exist? The terms of the E2 visa also need to be made clear to you - and to your uncle.

Read more
Answered on 11/15/12, 12:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Hawaii