Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Hawaii

is there anything that prevents a person to receive rental income from a property in which they are not on the deed for but have the owners permission?

is there any paperwork that is needed?

Scenario - My brother is using my apartment for free (he is not on the deed). He has his own GE License and is thinking of renting out the apartment. I am fine with this. Can he go ahead and receive the rental income?

Asked on 3/14/11, 12:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jon Zahaby Tour bus, scenic and sightseeing, operation

Yes. You can lease the property to your brother for a nominal amount (i.e. $10.00 per month) and he can sublease to the tenant. The leases should be prepared by an attorney. Otherwise he would have to be a Realtor. Aloha, Jon A. Zahaby, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/11, 1:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Hawaii