Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Idaho

Security Deposit - Property Managment Woes


I own a property in Post Falls, Idaho that I rent out to tenants. My previous property manager went out of business, so he began the process of transitioning to a new property manager on my behalf. I quickly realized that the new property manager's business practices were unethical at best, so I ended that relationship and took over the management of that property. During the same time, my tenant moved out, and I now have less than one week to refund the unused portion of that deposit to my tenant. However, the new property manager is refusing to give me the security deposit, stating that she has a contract with the tenant and that she will refund the deposit to the tenant. She doesn't even have a contract with me, since the relationship ended so soon and the paperwork was never processed, so has no authority to act on my behalf. I can't imagine what contract she thinks she has with the tenant. I've spent money repairing damage on the home that I need to deduct from that security deposit. Who can I contact to help me get the security deposit from this person who is withholding it and preventing me from refuding the balance to the tenant?



Asked on 4/18/08, 2:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maryam Abdallah Maryam Abdallah Law Firm

Re: Security Deposit - Property Managment Woes

Since there's no contractual relation whatsoever between you both, then she is in illegal possession of your money that was given to her under the false impression that she's working on your behalf...I suggest one last try to reason with her through the previous manager who introduced you to her services; otherwise, just call the Police!

Read more
Answered on 4/21/08, 11:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Idaho