Legal Question in Consumer Law in Illinois

I am a co-buyer on my husband vehicle, and I have been making all of the car payments. He now wants to leave and take sole possession of the car without making any payments, because he knows that I have to pay or risk lowering my credit. If I am to obtain the car with my key, will I legally be in trouble? What recourse do I have to obtain the car if I am the one that will be force to make the monthly payments. I called the finance company and they said I was a co-buyer, as the monthly payment statement says his name and mines.

Asked on 6/13/13, 4:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher

It is hard to tell without reviewing all of the documents, but if your name is also on the vehicle's title, you have equal right to possession. If you think your husband will make trouble, you should talk to an attorney about the possibility of a partition action or other legal recourse.

[email protected]

(773) 853-3062

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Illinois