Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

My ex owes me $110,000.00. I put Lien on his building for all the law would allow which still leaves $80,000.00. My question is this, Is there anyway I can sue him for the $80,000.00 and have it attached to the building? What type of Attorney would I need?

Asked on 3/02/18, 9:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

I am not sure I understand how you put a lien against his real estate without a judgment. Nor do I understand what you mean when you say the lien was all the law would allow. It certainly is possible to have a lien against real estate for $110,000. However, unless you have his consent, or you provided labor or materials which improved the real estate, you would not have a valid lien. You would need to sue him for the full amount of the debt. Assuming you win that lawsuit, you would be able to record a document which would constitute a lien against any real estate he owns in that county. The type of attorney you need would depend on the nature of the debt. For example, if it is based on a divorce or child support, a family law attorney may be best. If it is for work you did on the real estate, a real estate litigation attorney. If it is for money you loaned him, a general litigation attorney would be your choice.

Read more
Answered on 3/02/18, 10:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois