Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

if we own a small motel in cook county illinois, and a customer owes us

14,000. in back rent for the room, how can we put a lien on the property he is trying to

sell in order to pay us?

Which court would handle this?

Asked on 5/02/14, 9:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terrance Leeders Leeders Law

you would need to sue him to obtain a judgment and then you can file a citation to discover assets. Only then can you attach any non-exempt assets as allowed by court. You should contact a local collection attorney to assist you. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/14, 10:08 am
Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

First of all you need to obtain a judgment in order to be able to place a lien on property. So you have to sue. Any you can not lien something he does not own. You can only lien property that the judgment debtor owns.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/14, 10:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois