Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois


My fiancee was questioned recently along with three other freinds for the murder of another friend, he took a dna test and no conclusion was determined because he was over the friends house quite frequently. The detectives would like for him to take a lie detector test, should he consent or is it time to hire an attorney, and should he refuses what will happen?

Asked on 4/18/07, 11:39 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Rosenblat Michael C. Rosenblat., P.C.

Re: interrogation

Your fiancee should at a minimum consult with a lawyer, and make no statements until he does so. Call if you would like to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/07, 12:01 pm
George Zuganelis Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

Re: interrogation

Your fiancee has a 5th Amendment right to silence. He should have an attorney present when the police attempt to question him. The police don't always honor that right and try to wear a person down. Besides, lie detector test results are not admissible as evidence in court. Please call for a consultation. I've been a criminal defense lawyer for 29 years.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/07, 1:39 pm
Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: interrogation

My advice would definitely be for your friend to "lawyer up." There is absolutely no good that can come from speaking with the police or undergoing a lie detector test. The police are trying to develop evidence that they can use to convict someone. They are not trying to establish anyone's innocence. Your friend has a Constitutional right not to make any statements and he should exercise that right from this moment on.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/07, 9:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois