Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

overturn a conviction

5 years ago I was convicted of criminal sexual abuse. I should be done with my sentence in October. I am innocent. I was a teacher and was convicted of grabbing a student by the breast. I have tried going to project innocence and Northwestern but have been told the only way to have it overturned is if the girl recants or their is DNA evidence. Is there some other way?

Asked on 6/08/07, 1:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Zuganelis Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

Re: overturn a conviction

Unfortunately it was your word against hers, and you lost. Unless you have some hard evidence proving she lied you are going no where.

Read more
Answered on 6/08/07, 4:45 pm
Hale Yadede Law Office of Hale Yadede

Re: overturn a conviction

Was there anyone else who witnessed the incident(s) who could provide evidence? I cannot say exactly how much weight it would have, but it would be of interest if the student you were convicted of assaulting had given different accounts of what happened to other people.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/07, 2:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois