Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

If I am 17 and pregnant in illinois could I move out could I be emancipated?

I'm 17years old and am pregnant. The father and I are together and he is 19 and has a stable job. He is getting a house in a few weeks and my mom is mad that he's stepping up and doing things on his own. (She's a control freak) over and over again she keeps telling us both that since he is living on his own that she herself is taking child support from him and that it'll be enough where he can't afford to live on his own. She will not let me live with him because I'm not 18. She keeps saying she's going to take him to court and that he won't see aubree unless its his day. She is going to ruin her life before it evem starts. She is going to ruin the relationship between me and john. She has been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years and I know my mom well enough that she is going to do everything she can to get rid of john and try taking aubree from me. Please help me I don't know what to do. I just want out before aubree gets here so she can't do these things.

Asked on 10/11/13, 5:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

You're old enough and it sounds like a difficult but potentially manageable situation. You will have to apply to a court if you want this, and remember on declaration of emancipation you are basically entitled to nothing from your parents except as gifts.

Read more
Answered on 10/11/13, 7:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois