Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My 17 year old niece was kicked out of her house by her mother. Her father will not take her in so she is currently living with her grandparents. She has one more year of high school. Her father pays child support to her mother and will not give it directly to my niece. Her mother refuses to give it to her. She has never been in trouble. Her grandparents are retired living on a fixed income and cannot afford the additional expenses of having a high school senior although they are willing to open their hosue to her. Is there any legal action that can be taken in order for my parents to receive the child support entitled to my niece?

Asked on 7/18/10, 2:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kirsten Becker Kirsten Becker, Attorney

Yes, if the parties are at odds the grandparents can petition the court for guardianship.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/10, 7:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois