Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I am being black mailed by my babies father. he said if i leave him he will seek full custody of my child which he is not in the right conditions to do so that is to take of a child. is this possible or is he bluffing?

Asked on 9/06/11, 12:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Any parent has a right to, and can seek full or partial custody of their child, whether or not they are "in the right conditions to do so." Custody is determined by the courts, and is based on a long and in-depth analysis of the child, the parents, their homes, etc. No attorney can guarantee how a judge will rule on a custody determination, however. Just remember that if you leave your boyfriend, you may want to file your own petition for joint or sole custody of your child before he does. Filing first does have some (but not many) advantages within the judicial process.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/11, 12:22 pm
David Gotzh Law Office of David Gotzh


Read more
Answered on 9/06/11, 12:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois