Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Child taken out of state.

My son was taken out of state about ten years ago, from Illinois to Ohio. I did'nt protest at the time I just let her go. Over the years I have seen him many times and am always in contact with him. Last summer she moved again, this time to North Carolina. All I want to do is establish visitation. She says I have to go to North Carolina, even though she filed for child support in Chicago. Can I get regular visits with my son at my terms or only when she says i'ts ok?

Asked on 3/26/09, 12:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Motty Stone Law Offices of Motty Stone

Re: Child taken out of state.

If the child is living North Carolina now and there is no court that currently has the case (perhaps when she first filed for child support), then you may indeed need to go to court where your son currently lives. But that's really not the end of the world, while I can only speak as an Illinois attorney, I doubt any state will deny you visitation unless there are details left out.

What you need to do is talk to a lawyer in Illinois, figure out what State all of this should happen in, and then a visitation plan will be worked out. If you and "she" can't agree, the court will decide for you.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/09, 11:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois