Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I am trying to give guardianship rights for my minor to my sister who resides in the state of Indiana. I currently reside in Illinois. I have been getting so much run around with many different resources that I have been referred to in both states. I need some legal experts to answer. First, Do I actually need an attorney to represent me? This is not a custody battle, just trying to get the guardianship implemented so that the school would accept my daughter into their school asap. According to the school, the guardianship has to go through a court order. Also, can I file in either states?

Asked on 8/23/13, 9:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

You can't file in either State. Your sister can file for guardianship in the county in which you and the child live asking that she be appointed and requesting permission to move the child to Indiana to reside at your sister's home there. You will be involved to the extent that you will need to appear and advise the court that you are not contesting guardianship.

It will be faster and easier if you employ the services of an attorney. Otherwise you will continue to flounder about as you have been. You should find an attorney who is licensed in both Indiana and Illinois.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/13, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois