Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Can I put an ex in jail for failure to comply with court orders stating he is responsible for paying childs' education through 8th grade and also for not paying me what IRS would have paid me; also court ordered.

Asked on 8/11/13, 1:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

Technically you do not get to put him in jail. Only a judge does that. It is rare in our system that a judge puts someone in jail for not paying education bills or what you have set forth. Non payment of child support is a great reason for jail. How long ave you waited to complain about non-payment of education? If oyu have waited, then the judge may simply give you a money judgment.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/13, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois