Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

I was planning on getting a divorce. I hired a lawyer and gave him a retainer fee of $2,500. However, a couple of days later I told him I changed my mind my husband and I have been married a long time and we are going to try and work it out. He told me this happens all of the time. He said he didn�t file anything and he suggested I wait and he would hold my retainer. He said if after a few months I still didn�t want the divorce he would give me my retainer back. After a few months I was not going to get divorced and I asked for my money back. I had to call him several times and I even went to his office. He told me he would only return $500. This was ridiculous. He didn�t work on the case at all. I could understand if he needed to keep $300 but even that is too much. His consultation was free and he didn�t do anything with the case. I was going to file a small claims lawsuit but I am worried he will just know how to work the system and I will be given the run around. I would have to do this pro se because I don�t have the money to hire another lawyer. Do I have a case and can he keep filing something to prolong the case in hopes I will give up?

Asked on 11/13/13, 3:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Call my office tomorrow - I need some details and have any papers you have signed with him handy to answer some questions. Filing a small claims, at this time, will get you nowhere and will only cause you to spend additional money. If I can help you, I will do it pro bono.

Read more
Answered on 11/13/13, 4:27 pm
Jeffrey Friedman Law Office of Jeffrey Friedman

Based on what you state, your situation reflects badly on the legal profession and if we can help you, we will. Please contact my office directly at 312-357-1431.

Jeff Friedman

Read more
Answered on 11/14/13, 7:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois